I am curious to know if anyone had any knowledge of this experience that I had when I was stationed in the Panama Canal Zone in late 1945:
General Eisenhower was in a parade around Camp Corazel. He was close to a railroad crossing, the only train that ran from coast to coast at that time was a steam engine.
He came to the crossing and the train was coming. A Captain hollered for his Lieutenent to stop the train. The Lieutenent was'nt doing to good, grabbed a red hankerchief and ran down the tracks.
The engineer saw him, thought there was a wreck and stopped the train right in front of Eisenhower's parade. The engineer jumped out of the train, right in front of Eisenhower. The Captain told the engineer to get the train out of the way--that this was a parade and this is General Eisenhower.
THe engineer came back, "I don't care if it is PRESIDENT EISENHOWER! You can't stop this train! I could have killed several people!!"
The Captain put his tail between his legs, and went back to convoy. THe engineer took his sweet time getting the train out of his way. All the while, Eisenhower still set reading his newspaper.
The Canal Zone General sat beside him , red-faced. I never saw the captain after that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment